The Sidi Ferruch Monument
Housed in la redoute Béar, an 18th century fort on the Mediterranean coast, a small museum observes the memory of the French settlers of Algeria, many of whom resettled in Port-Vendres after 1962.
It is also home of the Sidi-Ferruch monument. Sidi-Ferruch is an important site of memory for French Algeria as the initial landing spot of the French Army in 1830, facilitating the invasion of Algeria.
The 15 metre stèle was originally erected in Sidi-Ferruch in 1930 to commemorate the centenary of the French invasion of Algeria. Following Algerian independence in July 1962, the monument was transported to Carcassone and eventually reconstructed in Port-Vendres between 1986-88.
The monument, sculpted by Ernile Gaudissart, celebrates the so-called mission civilisatrice and the myth of the Franco-Algerian fraternity of colonialism with the following words: